Monday, June 27, 2011

Note in a bottle

Walking along the beach on Sunday morning, eager to see how many new turtle nests there were, was just plain peaceful. Spying something that was bold and beautiful and completely out of place - well, that was just plain exciting. The blue was visible at a great distance and I couldn't get there fast enough to see what it was. When I saw there was a note inside, I couldn't wait to get it home to open it. My first message in a bottle!!

At home (and with glasses on), I could see the writing on the note was that of a child. The top of the bottle was sealed in wax and when the wax and cork were removed, there was the note. The only problem was, the note had unfurled and was larger than the bottle opening. Knowing there was a child out there somewhere, waiting patiently to see if someone had found their bottle, the situation called for creativity. Every utensil imaginable was employed yet yielded no success. I brought the bottle to work today and a crafty gentleman, obviously with more patience than I, retrieved the note with the use of an eraser at the tip of a pencil.


The note and bottle had been set adrift on Friday, just two days prior. A five-year old girl had written it and there was contact information. I just wish the bottle had traveled longer, further, far enough to land someplace exciting. After only two days, I fear the writer lives close by. We'll find out. What fun!





No comments:

Post a Comment