Thursday, September 2, 2010

Taking one for the team


This is from Sunday morning, when Danielle was cruising east of
Bermuda. High tide and a full moon, combined with the 9 ft waves,
brought the water (and jellyfish) much higher up than norm.

This is the exact same place, taken Wednesday, 3 days later, at
high tide. With 13 ft waves predicted for Earl, what can we expect?
Erosion. And trash. Which brings up the 'taking one for the team".
I was the only person on the beach last night, at PAFB Radar, and
I was bending over picking up a Corona bottle, fighting with my
trash bag, trying to get the bottle in while the high winds blew
the bag every which way. Anyway, while in that indelicate, and
unflattering position, I didn't hear the Channel 6 news helicopter,
which approached me from behind, until it had passed over me, low
enough to the ground that I was sure they'd gotten me at my worst.
I never looked, but that's okay if it drives home the idea that the
beaches need to be cleaned, even more so during a storm. I collected
three bags of trash, with my unique find of the day award going to the stiletto heeled shoe covered with barnacles. The full jar of hair
straightener was second. If the sea insists on coughing up trash
on our beaches, lets be sports and pick it up, okay? I hauled in
enough plastic to kill a school of dolphins, and that was just my
little two mile trek.

No comments:

Post a Comment